Brooklyn is Love: A Walk Across the Bridge

My dear friend Maria came to visit me this weekend. Prior to her arrival, we scarcely discussed our plans. I was just excited to spend time with her! After sleeping in on Saturday, we decided to venture into DUMBO, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and check out the Highline in Manhattan. Our vague plan to walk around turned into a wonderful NYC adventure.


Under the Brooklyn Bridge, Maria and I took a ride on Jane's Carousel. I love how children and grown-ups can enjoy this Brooklyn gem. Situated between the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridge, adults can marvel at the views as their children gallop around the carousel.


After walking over the Brooklyn Bridge, Maria and I made our way over to the west side. We walked north through Hudson River Park. Our ultimate goal was to make it to the High Line. I love bringing tourists to this remarkable park and I really wanted to see the El Anatsui instillation. But we were sidetracked along the way when we bumped into a sign for free kayaking on the Hudson River. 


It was an incredible experience! I wish I had known about it all summer! It is run entirely by volunteers and is sustained by donations. Gosh, I love New York!

Late in the afternoon, Maria and I made it to the High Line where we were able to appreciate artwork alongside nature. The piece on the left below is by one of my favorite artists, El Anatsui. The piece on the right below is called Sheep Station by sculpture François-Xavier Lalanne. He turned an abandoned gas station into a pasture on the west side of Manhattan! How brilliant!


I enjoyed my long and winding adventure with Maria but perhaps my favorite part of the day was kicking back with her on the couch and finishing a pint of Mint Cookie ice cream. :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts