Sound Check: Bo Burnham

Bo Burnham, the youtube sensation, has recently written a book: Egghead: Or You Can't Survive on Ideas Alone. He was featured tonight on NPR's Sound Check. Usually I find Bo Burnham abrasive and offensive (NPR even warns its internet visitors: Book excerpts are provided by the publisher and may contain language some find offensive). But after listening to his interview on NPR, I actually find him charming!


The host likened him to Shel Silverstein, and I found myself agreeing! His poetry is lyrical, witty and a little dark. In many ways, his humor reminds me of my brother's. Perhaps that is why I found him offensive at first. When directed outward, my brother's humor is brilliant - but when directed toward me or something I love, his humor hurts. Regardless, there is no denying that both my brother and Bo Burnham's witty criticisms of society are insightful and humorous.

Comments

Popular Posts