Grown-Up Grilled Cheese

I loved grilled cheese growing up but as I have gotten older it has become more of an occasional guilty pleasure than a staple of my diet. Today, I was home sick from work and wanted a taste of home-cooked comfort so I decided to try making a grown-up grilled cheese. I sautéed onions and mushrooms, and layered them on top of cheddar cheese in between two slices of wheat bread. For extra flavoring, I sprinkled balsamic vinegar over the onions before grilling the sandwich.


My sandwich was tasty but it was definitely missing something... so I decided to look up a more professional recipe. I found this recipe on the blog A Cup of Jo. I love the idea of using the balsamic vinegar to caramelize the onions, and adding kale to balance the flavors. Although, personal preference might compel me to replace the kale with spinach.

How would you alter the classic grilled cheese to fit your adult palate?

Comments

Popular Posts