Falling in Love with Someone Else's Children



For the past six months, I have been babysitting two incredible girls ages four and six. It has been a wonderful experience. I have been lucky enough to watch these girls learn and grow. Each day, they have awed me with their intelligence and strength. They are such remarkable girls that my heart aches as I write this...


The older one's compassion inspires me to be a kinder and gentler person. She approaches everyone as a friend, even when it is her first time meeting him or her. She never hesitates to give up a balloon, the last piece of candy, or her turn in a game to make another child feel better. Her thirst for knowledge is unquenchable. She asks deep thoughtful questions - most of which I am unable to answer. I know there is no limit to the things she can learn and teach others if she puts her mind to it.



The younger one is equally impressive. She is the most dedicated and determined person I have ever met. When she sets a goal for herself, she does not quit until she achieves it. I have watched her accomplish so many things over the past six months. She has learned to ride a bike without training wheels, swim without a floaty and cross the monkey bars without any help. Her independence is striking. Even at only four years old, she knows who she is and what she wants. She forms her own options thoughtfully and voices them proudly. When she is learning something new, she is serious and introspective. But she is never afraid to be goofy and loving. 




I feel honored to have gotten to know them so well over the past couple months. But I am devastated to leave them when I move to New Orleans. I have grown to love these girls. They brighten my day even as they challenge my patience. They have taught me that I want children of my own someday. Falling in love with someone else's children is both rewarding and heartbreaking. It feels like I am leaving a piece of myself in New York. Fortunately, I know my relationship with them won't end with this move. 

Comments

Popular Posts