Brooklyn is Love: Coney Island


Despite living in New York City for 23 years, I went to Coney Island for this first time this week. I have to say, I don't think I was missing anything...
The first thing I did upon entering the park was get (almost) comically ripped off. There are two payment options: credit cards or wristbands. The two little girls I was with had been talking about Coney Island for months. Knowing we were going to be there for several hours, I thought it would be thrifty to get us all wristbands. I spent $100 getting wristbands for 4 hours of unlimited rides. But in the end, I didn't go on a single ride, and the girls only went on two. The lines were unbelievable. At one point, we thought we would be the next people on the ride, but all of a sudden, a clown car of children dressed in the same outfit came in front of us. Apparently, one sibling waited in line while the rest took turns on the other rides in the park.

The games were not much better. Most were impossible to win and had terrible plush prizes. I watched the girls struggle to get oversized wiffle balls onto the rims of tiny glasses only to be told that there was nothing they could win. Fortunately for me, they managed to have a blast! I was filled with rage and frustration, but it was nothing but smiles from them!



Now I admire parents who agree to bring their children to Coney Island. It is not an easy feat!

Comments

Popular Posts