Online Dating: Guy One


On my first official first date, I agreed to meet Guy One (names have been changed partially out of respect, and partially because I can't remember them) at the Brooklyn Museum of Art. Although I am not a particularly enormous fan of museums, I can appreciate the beauty and talent that goes into creating a piece of art. I grew up in an artistic family and have frequented museums my entire life. When Guy One agreed to meet me at the museum, I assumed it was because he enjoyed going to art exhibits...

It quickly became clear that Guy One had little interest in the artwork. In fact, it seemed that Guy One had little interest in me. We sped through five floors of the museum in less than two hours. He wasn't interested in reading the artists' statements or discussing the work. The majority of the time, Guy One recited the plots of movies or books. I presented him with plenty of opportunities to ask me questions about myself or engage in meaningful conversations about artistic inspiration. But he was determined to describe the plot of Charlaine Harris's newest novel in painstaking detail. 

In a bold attempt to improve the experience, I brought him to my favorite section of the Brooklyn Museum: Judy Chicago's The Dinner Party. He was thoroughly unimpressed with the exhibit, which was both disappointing and slightly hurtful. Just outside of the main exhibit, Judy Chicago created heritage panels that commemorate women who have significantly contributed to present day womanhood. Every time I view these panels, I search for Mary Lyon, Mount Holyoke's founder. 

Guy One caught me taking a picture of her name surrounded by other significant women of her time. Guy One: "Why are you taking a picture of her name?"
Me: "Well as a graduate of an all women's college..." 
Guy One (abruptly cutting me off): "Mount Holyoke is an all girl's school?"

The date had not been going well, but this was the final straw. I had fed him the appropriate terminology and yet he still managed to be both offensive and condescending by referring to an all women's institution of higher learning as a "girl's school." It was obvious that this was not a love connection and it was time to cut my losses and move on.

Although my first official first date was nothing to brag about, I did learn a couple of really important things:
1. There is no reason to get super nervous about a first date. If it doesn't go well, it's only one afternoon out of your life. Awkward silences and discomfort only last for that afternoon and then it's over. All of the anxiety I was feeling about going on a first date was a waste of energy. 
2. If you want a quick litmus test of a potential relationship: bring the guy to a museum. 
3. When a bad date asks to take you out again: just say you are not interested. People appreciate the honesty. No one wants to chase someone who isn't interested. 

Well here's to hoping that the next date will be better... 

Comments

Popular Posts