Brooklyn is Love: A Day at the Museum

This weekend I was blessed with a trip from Hannah Barg. It was splendid. On Saturday night, we walked around downtown Brooklyn. It was wonderful having company as I explored my new neighborhood! Sunday morning, we ate breakfast at a wonderful Greek restaurant on 7th avenue. I ate my weight in pancakes, potatoes and eggs. But the platter was so beautiful, it hurt me to ruin it!


After our delicious breakfast, we headed over to the Brooklyn Museum of Art to see the Dinner Party by Judy Chicago. My mother brought me to the exhibit when I was a child and I just didn't get it. But after attending Mount Holyoke, the exhibit took on a whole new meaning for me. Historically, women have received little recognition for their contributions to society. But our world is built on the backs of women. I am glad Judy Chicago had the courage to bring so many incredible woman to one table. However, a piece of artwork is not enough. There needs to be more appreciation and recognition of phenomenal women instead of constant criticism of them. Perhaps appreciation of the dinner party is the first step towards adequate appreciation of women.


After the Dinner Party, we went to see El Anatsui's instillation Gravity and Grace: Monumental Works. His pieces are absolutely incredible. I was most impressed with the flexibility he gives his work. Each time one of his pieces is displayed, he gives the curator a chance to make it unique. The metal falls in a different pattern, or the wood carvings are rearranged. He does not give curators instructions for how to install his pieces and that never fails to make them uncomfortable!



If you have a chance to see his work - you must! He is not an artist to miss!

Comments

Popular Posts