Reading Recommendations

I am a junkie for book-signings and the five college area is the perfect place to satisfy my addiction.  I have collected signed books from Anne Fadiman, Duval Patrick, Norton Juster, Jodie Picoult and Rachel Maddow. In September, I added Junot Diaz to my collection! I have to admit that when I first attended his book-signing, I had yet to read any of his books. I had tried several times to borrow The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao from the public library but it was constantly loaned out.  Despite my unfamiliarity with his work, I knew he was an author I needed to see.

I was immediately blown away by his upfront, no-bullshit attitude.  Through his humorous approach to discussing intense political and social issues, he is able to make his audience both laugh and cry.  He made me re-think my privilege as an upper-middle class white chick, without making me feel like a complete asshole.  He spoke honestly about sexualization of the latino community in response to years of being raped by the elite.  He used the work fuck to its full usage, reminding us that we are all products of fucking one way or another.  He questions our country's fear of vulgarity despite its daily intersections in our lives.  He was fantastic.


Also, when I went to get my picture taken with him, he gave me a kiss on each cheek and told me he "really liked my look."  Best Compliment Ever.

Immediately after attending his book signing, I read his latest collection of short stories "This is How You Lose Her." Honestly, I can't adequately describe how this book made me feel. There were times at which I hated Yunior and I thought he deserved the terrible things that happened to him. Other times, I felt immense guilt for ever wishing him harm. I wanted things to be different for the characters but Diaz's writing is honest - happy endings are not guaranteed even when intentions are good.

Comments

  1. Nothing makes me happier than knowing that Thea Lange is writing in her bog again!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts