Walt Disney World Vacation: Epcot

I loved Epcot because I am a huge dork! Epcot is the educational side of Walt Disney World. Every ride provokes thought, wonder and exploration. As soon as the bus doors opened, we rushed to the newest ride in the park: Soarin'. The ride is as incredible as people say. It simulates a high flying adventure over California complete with beautiful sights, sounds and smells - yes, SMELLS! While flying over orange groves, the sweet smell of the fruit fills the theater. When gliding over ski slopes, the crisp smell of pines engulfs you. I was lucky enough to get a front row seat for the experience. Without anyone sitting in front of me, it truly felt like I was flying.

Although I loved the experience of Soarin', it came in third place on my list of favorite rides. My absolute favorite was Sum of All Thrills. On this ride, I was able to design and "engineer" my own roller coaster. Using mathematical concepts and my basic understanding of physics, I was able to design the perfect thrill.


After designing the perfect roller coaster, I was able to experience it through a simulator. I could feel all of the twists and turns I had designed. I never considered becoming a physicist but experiencing a ride I had designed made me regret abandoning math my first year of college. Second to Sum of All Thrills, I loved Test Track. This ride allowed you to design your own vehicle and then see how your decisions impacted its handling, speed and precision. My family and I worked in teams of two to design vehicles and see who could create the ultimate driving machine. The verdict is still out but I will provide updates once we run the comparisons online!

Perhaps my favorite thing about Epcot was how I was able to take the experience back home. I can view my roller coaster and edit my car design online from my living room. The excitement and learning persists!

Comments

Popular Posts