Walt Disney World Vacation: Animal Kingdom

When I was six years old, my father took me to It's Tough to be a Bug at the Animal Kingdom. We sat in a crowded theater and were promised the ultimate 4D experience. Almost immediately, I knew I didn't want to be there. Air blew on the back of our chairs making it feel like bugs were crawling up our legs. Stick bugs filled the room with noxious fumes and the buzzing of bees engulfed me. I cried until he carried me out of the theater. Sixteen years later, I decided to try again. Sitting in the theater, I figured that I had grown up enough to enjoy this experience. Again, almost immediately, I knew I didn't want to be there. But this time I controlled myself and I didn't cry. I just sat there on the edge of my seat and patiently waited for the movie to end. Water was sprayed in my face (I hate getting wet), buzzing noises pounded in my brain and air stunk my back (Why simulate a bee sting? Who wants to be stung by a bee?) but I stuck it out. And for some reason, I take a lot of pride in that.


But let's focus on the positive. Animal Kingdom has one of my all time favorite roller coasters: Expedition Everest. The line was long but well worth the wait. If you suspend your disbelief for the briefest of moments, this ride actually makes you feel like you are being chased by a Yeti to the edge of a cliff.

There is no top three for Animal Kingdom because rides are not the highlight of Animal Kingdom. In fact, the highlight of my trip was observing a hysterectomy on a love bird. It's not what you think, the hysterectomy was not to prevent the bird from reproducing. That would be a cruel and seemingly unnecessary procedure to perform on a captive creature. The surgeon removed the uterus because the bird was unable to pass fertilized eggs. The eggs would get stuck in her uterus and slowly kill her. I watched as the veterinarian carefully removed the egg, and then the reproductive organs. I was absolutely fascinated by the process. It's incredible how a trip to Walt Disney World could reaffirm my passion to pursue medicine.

Comments

Popular Posts