Fall Guide to Western Mass: MOUNTAIN DAY!!

On Wednesday, October 17th, the chiming of the bell tower signified the declaration of Mount Holyoke's 174th annual Mountain Day. 



Mountain Day (Mount Holyoke's oldest tradition) provides students with an unexpected break from classes and other obligations.  The purpose of Mountain Day is to give students the opportunity to thoroughly enjoy the beautiful autumn scenery.  Every fall, students anxiously await and predict when Mountain will be declared. As the weather became increasingly dreary this year, students (especially seniors) worried that Mountain Day might never happen! But Lynn Pasquerella pulled through and chose an absolutely gorgeous day!



My first and last year at Mount Holyoke College, I spent Mountain Day hiking up Mount Holyoke in Skinner State Park.  As I reached the summit this year, I was flooded with memories of my first Mountain Day three years ago.  I remember the excitement of classes being canceled and the anticipation of ice cream at the end of the hike.  I remember being afraid I would have to hike the Mountain alone and being overjoyed when I found friends to share the experience.  


At the top of Mount Holyoke fall '09

As I stood at the summit overlooking the pioneer valley, I reflected on how much has changed since that first year, and how much has stayed the same. 

       
At the top of Mount Holyoke fall '12

What I love most about these pictures is what you can't see: the self-discovery and growth each of us has gone through since first year.  It is hard for me to imagine the person I was three years ago but I can easily recall the Mountain Day journey.  I relish this Mountain Day memory that constantly reminds me of the flux and stability of human relationships.  I know that Mountain Day is supposed to be about appreciating the great outdoors. But, for me, Mountain Day will forever be associated with appreciation of great friendships.  

Comments

  1. I love the way you have internalized a school tradition and given it personal meaning. This is what transforms an empty gesture into a ritual that connects the participants

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts