Sweet Summer: NYC Pride Parade 2014


The NYC Pride Parade is a joyous occasion (as exemplified by the man above). But over the years, the parade has become increasingly commercialized and drawn out. I love the free swag and elaborate floats, but my favorite part of the parade is watching people (members of the LGBTQ community and allies) just be themselves.

The rainbow to start it all
Femmes put the power back in Femininity
The Wizard of Oz
Caribbean-American Pride

Caribbean-American Pride 
This year, the Grand Marshal of the pride was the lovely and vivacious Laverne Cox. She rolled past us in her convertible blowing kisses to the crowd. It was wonderful! She was followed by her costars on Orange is the New Black a couple hours later. All of them seemed to be having a great time! I wish I could have joined them on the float! 

Laverne Cox, Grand Marshal
The cast of Orange is the New Black
The parade is always fun to watch, especially while being surrounded by friends. This year, I got to watch the parade with a friend from high school, my friends from college and my colleague. It was a wonderful union of old and new friends! Can't wait to see how it turns out next year! 

Comments

Popular Posts