Cold Weather Running

February in New England is bitter cold. But despite the chilling weather, I am determined to run outdoors everyday. Although I am used to cold weather, it has definitely been a learning experience. I began running in spandex leggings and long-sleeve cotton shirts. I soon learned this was not suitable attire. I added a sweatshirt and hat to my ensemble but halfway through my runs I was tearing them off. I would get overheated and aggravated. I absolutely hate being hot. In addition, the sweatshirt and hat did not protect my face and eyes against the stinging wind.

So I decided to experiment with other methods of keeping warm. My first big discovery was gloves!
Gloves are cheap, compact and warm! I found a pair of gloves in the Dickinson free bin (my dorm's free clothing exchange box) and quickly claimed them as my own! When I get hot during a long run, I can quickly pull them off and shove them in my pockets.

To combat the wind, I first considered wearing a ski mask. I have a bright orange full-face fleece my dad gave me in fifth grade. But I felt childish wearing it around campus. I decided that a better way to protect my face would be to moisturize. I started smothering my face in cocoa butter before every run. It works like a charm!

Finally, I decided I needed a warmer running shirt - cotton long-sleeves were not insulating my core. My favorite running store was having a 50% off end-of-season sale so I splurged on this stylish pullover!
The Icecap Hidden Hoodie has two pockets, thumb holes, and you guessed it - a hidden hoodie! It is one of the best running related purchases I have ever made!

Comments

Popular Posts