Spontaneous Half Marathon

Because my spring break plans changed, I won't be able to run my half marathon next week. I am a little disappointed but glad I will be spending my spring break doing something adventurous! Knowing that I am not racing has allowed me to slack off for the past two weeks. Rather than running eleven miles on my long runs, I have been averaging six miles. It might not seem like a big difference but my body can feel it.

Despite my recent slacker attitude, I agreed to go on a long run with one of my friends who is an avid marathon runner. I prepared myself to do a faster-pace six mile run. What I ended up running was a grueling 13 miles. A half marathon.

Within the first mile my right knee began to ache. This is not unusual pain for me so I decided to push through it. I could make it to six miles... But at six miles we kept going. I was afraid to ask how far we had been running but I knew she had planned a 12 mile run. At the eighth mile, I was feeling good (despite my knee) and I thought I could make it...And I probably could have. But we did not stop at mile 12. That is when things started to get rough.

My arms were stiff from being in the same position for so long and I could feel the ground pounding against my feet. My lower back ached and my armpits were chafing. I was sweating profusely but I was frozen to my core. Worst of all, I lost my mental motivation. I just wanted to be back on campus, in the shower. I couldn't think of the beautiful scenery or the joy of what I was accomplishing. I wanted to be done. That last mile was the worst.

Then it was over. The pain in my back continued, my legs felt like jelly and I was woozy. But nothing, not even a half marathon, can stop me from having a type A personality. I gathered my backpack from the library, changed my shirt and went to Physics fourth hour.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts